Friday, February 6, 2009

Decrypting Reggie's Calligraphy

I view this poem as dealing with the experience of recapturing what has been lost; a pleasant process of recollection and evocation of the absence. It uses three stanza patterns, involving short lines which make for a smooth flowing cadence. The words make heaps of pictures in the mind. The color and imagery of the lines such as /I take the brush/and lightly tip/ its obsidian edge with liquid coal/ appeals to the mind’s eye, the visualizer. /Carefully I twirl this bamboo wand and wave swirls of meaning/ brings an effect of capturing the scene at the right angle in slow motion.
I think, the word, carefully, in second stanza may be deleted without affecting the essence of the poem. Without a qualifier, I can still imagine the twirl and the deftly stroke of the hand doing the art, which, I believe, is never done carelessly. It will also bring accord to the reflective mood of the persona because the line will be shorter.
/Recreating your presence/ exhibits the sense or the idea of the poem, the other lines portray its feeling. However, there seems to be some part of the story that needs to be unleashed for it to convey its complete and true meaning. The presence being recreated becomes a puzzle to me, and I am left to guess whether it is a person, an event or maybe an old feeling. But there is nothing in the text to confirm.

No comments:

Post a Comment